July 23, 20xx
Dear Ms. Baillie:
As of August 7, I will be terminating1 my employment at ABC Company. I have allowed two weeks prior to2 my departure for assisting in the transition process3.
Although I have enjoyed watching the Advertising Department grow from its humble beginnings4 to the current formidable5 size and influence in Wuhan, I have received an offer for another company that I feel is better suited6 to my career objectives.
I regret having to resign from my position. I wish you and ABC the best of luck and future success.
Zhang Xiao Hua
1. terminate (v)- 结束，终止 to come to an end
例句： "The lease terminates in December."
2. prior to (prep)-在…之前in advance of; before
例句："Prior to this acting career he was a salesperson in Guangdong." 当"prior"单独使用时，它作为形容词，意思是"earlier in time" or "previous,"
例句："I have a prior commitment that prevents me from attending the meeting."
3. transition process -移交过程in Zhang Xiao Hua's case, the transition process may involve one or all of the following: a.) handing over his documents and files, b.) working until the company finds his replacement, and, c.) showing the ropes to the new person
4. humble beginnings -创业之初，低微的不起眼的状况 low-ranking, undistinguished and poor status
例句："The chief financial officer began in a very humble job as a restaurant waiter."
5. formidable (adj)- 巨大的awesome; impressive; overwhelming
例句： "The Three Gorges project is quite formidable as it involves millions of people."
6. suited (v + ed used as adj)- 适合的in accordance with; agreeable; appropriate; "suit also a verb, as in "This position suits with his abilities."
November 24, 1998
Dear Mr. Bao:
By this letter I am resigning my position as Quality Engineer, effective immediately.
Recent circumstances incompatible1 with my personal beliefs and styles require that I change my employment.
I appreciate the opportunity to work and learn at ABC Company.
Li Da Hua
1. incompatible (adj)- 与……相冲突， 与……不协调 opposed in character; unable to exist in harmony
例句： "The two partners were too incompatible to stay in business together."
12 Hutong Street
July 3, 20xx
120 Minor Street
Dear Ms. Yang:
I am writing to inform you of my resignation, effective July 15. Although I have enjoyed my position as Speech Pathologist1, I have accepted another position where I feel my diverse2 skills are more full utilized3.
I wanted to thank you for the wonderful experience I had with Any University. Both the staff and the students were great to work with. I wish you much luck with the approaching academic year.
1. pathologist (n) - 病理学家expert in the study of diseases
2. diverse (adj) - 多种多样的different, showing variety
3. utilize (v) - 运用 make good use of, use
SOME USEFUL EXPRESSIONS
1. Effective September16*, I will be terminating my employment with ABC Company.
"effective" 即 being in effect or operative
例句："The summer day light saving time is effective May 30."
2. I write to tender * my resignation from office. My last day of employment will be June 16.
"tender" 动词, 即"to offer" 或 "to present for acceptance"
3. After much deliberation*, I have decided to move out of the private sector and go back to college.
"deliberation"即 careful consideration 或 a debate within oneself or by a group of people for or against a measure
例句:" The managers could not be hurried in their deliberation."
4. I regret having to leave a situation * where I have received so much kindness and made so many friends.
"situation" 指的是 "place of employment"
5. My experience at ABC Company has been both educational and rewarding*.
6. However, I find it absolutely necessary to seek an appointment* which can enable me to earn a higher salary to cope with the growing high cost of living.
"appointment" 和 "situation"一字相仿 , 代表 a place of employment 或 a job之意
7. I take this opportunity to * thank you for the wonderful experience I had with ABC Company.
另一表达方式: "I take this opportunity of thanking you for the wonderful experience I had with ABC Company,"
8. I have concluded that I can no longer function * effectively when the policies followed by the headquarters * fail to provide the support I need as a regional manager.
"function"即 operate 或 carry on one's duty; "headquarters" 总是以复数形式出现, 代表 the administrative center of an enterprise 之意
9. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make my departure a smooth one *.
"one" 是代词, 指代前面的名词 " departure"; 它有时也可指代后面的名词 , 如: "The basketball players who score the most are not always the ones with the best brains."
英文中 “to quit one’s job” 是辞职比较口语化的表达方式，而 “to resign”是比较正规的表达方式。递交 辞职信则为“to tender one’s resignation”。导致辞职的原因因人而异：有的人举家迁移(relocation)不得已换工作，有的人是因为健康、 年龄或家庭因素，有的人是另谋高职，有的人是与同事或上级发生矛盾, 有的人是迫于工作压力。但不管怎样，作为辞职人你应本着好聚好散、心平气和的精神书写辞职信, 提一下公司给你带来的好处，表达一番感激之情。为了发泄自己愤愤不平之情绪的辞职信 (negative resignation letter) 可能会带来意想不到的麻烦， 尤其是当你的新雇主到你的原单位进行调查或写信给你原雇主索取推荐信时，麻烦就更大了。当今社会辞职数年后又想回原单位工作的事儿是常有的， 所以写辞职信还得为以后留条后路。